Please forgive me for using this forum to promote a cause that is very near and dear to my heart. I wouldn’t do it if I didn’t think it was extremely important. And I want to give my thanks to Ron and Linda for allowing me to do this in this forum.
I want to encourage you, whether you are a man or a woman, to take good care of yourself and do all of the medical screenings that are recommended by your doctor. And, in particular, screenings for breast cancer. Breast cancer will strike 1 in 8 women in her lifetime. Early detection is the key. So to detect it, to perhaps save your own life, get regular mammograms and do your monthly self exam.
I feel strongly about this because breast cancer touched my life a year ago. I was fortunate that it was caught at a stage that is very treatable and I am feeling great. Every single day is a blessing to be treasured. What I would really like is that no one would ever have to go through it, ever. But that is not possible, at least not yet.
Trying to make people aware of doing breast self exams and getting mammograms is a bit of a passion for me. And in my efforts to be pro-active, I have been very involved with the Susan Komen Foundation. This year, for the second year in a row, I have formed a team to walk in the Race for the Cure on September 21, 2008 in downtown Portland. This event does a tremendous job of raising public awareness and it also raises lots of money. The money raised stays 75% in our local area to help women detect and fight this disease (and men too!). The remaining 25% is used on a National level to pay for research to find a cure. Please consider visiting my website to join me in the walk or to make a donation to my efforts. Here is the link: Let’s Wipe Out Breast Cancer!
On a personal note, fighting this disease was a great concern to me as a full-time Realtor who works 100% on commission. My family relies on my income to support our household. And, you know what? It was possible to do. I got so much support from friends and family and I have wonderful clients who make going to work a joy. I am now completely done with treatment and I am feeling great.
Thank you so much for your support!