Lake Oswego Reads

Beginning in 2007, the City of Lake Oswego has used the month of February to host a city-wide reading program. The concept is to encourage everyone in town to read the same book at the same time. The community then hosts events to show-case and share the ideas found in the book. This year’s book selection is The Whistling Season by Ivan Doig.

The Whistling Season is a coming-of-age story set in 1910. It tells the tale of a rural family of 3 boys and their widowed father. The book was selected because, tying into the Lake Oswego Centennial Celebration,  it will transport the reader back to 1910, the year that the City of Lake Oswego was originally founded. The book was selected by a panel of librarians, community leaders, High School English teachers and High School students.

Throughout the month of February events will be held all over Lake Oswego to bring The Whistling Season to life in the community:
February 1, Lake Oswego Writes, Chuck’s Place, 7pm
February 2-28, Art Exhitition at Graham’s Book and Stationary and at Chrisman Picture Frame and Gallery. 18 artists have created original pieces based upon their vision while reading the book.

February 3, History of the Telephone, Heritage House, 7pm

February 5, Pioneer Lunch, Noon, Adult Community Center

February 8, Book Club Quilter’s Tea, 2 pm, the Library

February 9, One Room School House Panel Discussion, Holy Names Heritage Center, 2pm

February 10, Spelling Bee, Lakewood Center, 7pm

February 11, Tales of the Secret Life of Lake Oswego, Library, 7pm

February 12, Photo Scavenger Hunt for Teens, Library, 7pm

February 13, Apron Making Classes, The Pine Needle, 10 am for kids, 1pm for adults

February 17, Dream Analysis, Lake Oswego Country Club, $15, 11:45 am

February 17, Hear Ivan Doig in Person, Lake Oswego High School, 7pm, tickets are free and given out 1st come 1st serve on January 30, 11 am, at the Library (see you there!)

February 18, Star Gazing, Luscher Farm, 7pm

February 18, Book Discussion, 7pm, West End Building

February 19, Book Discussion. 1 pm, Adult Community Center

February 20, Horse Carriage Rides, 11am to 3pm, Graham’s Stationary

February 20, Hoe Down, 5-8pm, West End Building

February 24, Historic Recipe Tasting, 1pm, Adult Community Center

February 24, Book Discussion, 7pm, the Library

February 25, Book Discussion, 10am, Mt. Park Church

February 25, Hear a real hand whistler, 7pm, the Library

February 26, Book Discussion, 1pm, Adult Community Center

February 27, Horse Show/ Jumper Night, 5:30, Oswego Hunt

For specifics on each event, click here.

I am an avid reader.  I jumped into the Lake Oswego Reads idea when it was first introduced in 2007.  I don’t attend all of the events, but I do try to get to a few of them.  This year I will make the effort to get to the art show as well as the evening with Ivan Doig.  I also plan to take my Mom to the One-Room-School-House discussion on the 9th (she actually went to school in a 1-room school house).  I have  learned that the book discussions are interesting, both in person and on-line.  I think what I like most about Lake Oswego Reads is that it introduces me to really good books that I might otherwise not read.  Here is a brief list of past book choices and my take on them:

2007, Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon.  This book takes place in post-WWII Barcelona.  I liked this book.  It reminded me of The Davinci Code with its intrigue and espionage.  I particularly enjoyed the setting.  You feel like you are meandering through alleyways and breathing in Barcelona.  I know that this book was selected  because one of the goals of LO Reads is to draw in High School students as well as adults.  The local High Schools use the selected book in their classrooms.  This is a fast-paced story that successfully appeals to diverse age groups.

2008, Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson and David Relin. This book is hands down one of the most important books of our time.  It is non-fiction.  It is about one man and his mission to bring peace to Afghanistan and Pakistan by building schools.  As I read it I found myself wishing that every world leader could take the time to read it too.  It is remarkable, amazing, and inspiring what one individual can accomplish.  And Greg Mortenson did it rather by chance.  You will find yourself with him as he comes off of climbing K2 and lands in a remote village in the Middle East.  He deals first-hand with The Taliban.  His mission is important and when your read about it you will be forever changed.

2009, Stubborn Twig by Lauren Kessler. This book traces 3 generations of Japanese immigrants from their early beginnings in the Hood River Valley, through their ordeals and the alterations of their lives during WWII, to the gradual assimilation into American culture after several generations.  I was completely touched by their story.  Like Three Cups of Tea, it is non-fiction.  This family came to the United States to find a better life, built a very successful business, and then lost nearly everything while being both jailed and put into Internment Camps.  And yet, they were and are  Americans, with lives of determination and patriotism.

I want to encourage you to get involved with Lake Oswego Reads.  If The Whistling Season is as good as the other book selections have been, then I know it will be a worthwhile experience.  And, let’s face it, one of the great things about February in Oregon is that it is the perfect time of year to curl up with a good book.

Dianne

Broker’s Tour in L.O.~Tuesday, Jan. 19, 2010

I thought I’d bring you along with Dianne and I to see some of what was on Brokers’ Tour Tuesday in Lake Oswego.

What do we DO on tour??? Well, we check out properties that are new on the market or that have had a major change such as remodeling work or price reductions. We also enjoy visiting with each other & learning more about the properties (this is a great way to find out material information that is not included on the listing sheet), and you should know that Realtors LOVE to eat on tour! Usually we’ve been at meetings all morning and are ravenous by the time we get out to tour.  Dianne calls it the Pavlov Response… she postulates that even when we don’t tour, we automatically get hungry on Tuesdays at 11:00…  I think she’s right!

I was not able to post everything we saw on Tuesday, but I’ve got quite a bit to show you… Let’s get going! (all photos used with permission ~ remember that you can enlarge any photo by clicking on it)

We headed over to Westridge to 51 Hillshire Dr., to visit a custom contemporary home set up above the road and surrounded by luscious landscaping, giving it peaceful views out the many bright windows.  We were met by Debbie Todd who answered questions and showed us around with warmth and hospitality. This one is stately, with 4306 SF, 4 bedrooms, a formal but open entry, master suite on the main floor, high vaulted ceilings, hardwoods, great room with gorgeous kitchen (yes, that’s Dianne in the kitchen), fireplace and access to the spa/patio area (also accessible from the spacious master).  Daylight basement offers pool table area, 1/2 bath, media area, and a beautiful wet bar.  Three bedrooms are upstairs (one non-conforming). The flow of this home is so elegant, and the feel so open and peaceful… I would highly recommend a look.  This one is set & ready to welcome it’s new owners with style & comfort from day one.

From Westridge we drove to 2057 Summit Dr  in Summit Heights where the neighborhood is nestled up the graceful slope from Lake Oswego. This particular home is a totally remodeled 4 bedroom, 3 1/2 bath 1975 Craftsman with panache. I mean, this home shouts easy, comfortable living from the street as you enter the circular drive.  It is just a ‘superstar’ sitting there waiting for the perfect occupants. Set back a ways from the road, we meandered up the walk and were met by Susy Darm, another charming local Realtor with tons of information about the property to share. It is 4589 SF on a .45 acre lot overlooking the lake with beautiful views from the upper deck & grand master bedroom.  The outdoor living options begin with the main level deck that wraps from the porch around to the side… vaulted with forest views & accessible from the kitchen and dining areas.  Did I mention the kitchen?  Let’s just say stunning slab granite, Dacor Pro stove, Sub Zero, Viking, alder cabinets, and an open/airy feel.  The great room is wired for surround sound, there are three fireplaces, one of which boasts an alluring river pebble fascia. I could go on & on… media & game room, stellar bathrooms… but really, this one needs to be seen in person.

Leaving Susy, we decided to finish up our tour with the new construction  home at 567 6th Street in First Addition. We walked through this one about a month or two ago when it was in full building mode… we gingerly stepped through the home being careful not to trip and trying to visualize the finished result.  It was fun to see the transformation yesterday.  Shari Newman met us in the beautiful kitchen featuring one of my favorites… Carrera Marble for back-splash.  It offers 2568 SF of brand new home, with 4 bedrooms and 3 1/2 baths.  Floors are luxurious, dark hardwoods. Bathrooms feature granite and elegant fixtures & finishes.  The generous master is conveniently located on the main level. Upstairs also opens to three more bedrooms, one of which has high ceilings and could probably also be used as a game or media room.  Little touches than really shine include the brass gutters, and slatted wood ceilings on the front porch.  Style.

Well, that wraps up our Broker’s Tour for this week.  Hope it was fun tagging along with us! We’re always here to take a call & show you property if you find something that “speaks” to you.

If this is making you want to tour yourself, I’ll be holding 371 6th St. Open on Sunday in Lake Oswego from 2:00 – 4:00 PM.  This is a sweet 3 bedroom, 3 1/2 bath custom rowhouse in First Addition. C’mon down! We can chat.

Very Best,

Linda

You may reach me at:  503 318 2116

It’s A New… Centennial Year in Lake Oswego!

HappyHappy 2010 to each of you!  I don’t know about you, but I can feel the excitement (and dare I say relief) in the air.  It’s a new year, and things are looking good.  Lake Oswego is already celebrating its Centennial, employment figures are up, real estate tax incentives are in full force (for a few months anyway), stocks started the year with a rally, and “the trend is still up” according to Rob Lutts, chief investment officer at Cabot Money Management.

Are there naysayers and warnings of impending doom?  Yes, as always.  I, however, am “cautiously excited” at the prospect of renewed opportunity all around.  I see my clients achieving their goals and changing their lives, and I know that time does indeed march on.  For my clients, job changes happen, marriages and divorces happen, families grow & need more space, loved ones want to be closer geographically, retirement and downsizing happen, and of course, “upsizing” is also very much alive.

Couple3The beginning of the year also always brings some legislative changes, like needing a hands-free device to talk on your cellphone in the car.  The new law does, however “…exempt motorists who are on their hand-held cell phones ‘in the scope of the person’s employment if operation of the motor vehicle is necessary for the person’s job’.”  Hmmmm, I wonder if that includes Realtors?  Well, I think I’ll opt for safety anyway, but I can smell some friction (is that burning rubber?) ahead in the way of challenges to these minimum $142. tickets.

In the real estate world, there are all manner of regulatory changes, and changes to the “new” forms we’ll be using.  Make sure to talk with your SophieTuckerRealtor (or Dianne and I if you are without a Realtor) if you have any questions.  Some of the changes could affect the timeline of your transaction if you are not aware of them. For instance, if a transaction includes any seller-carried financing, and the document is prepared by escrow, there is a 3-day mandatory review period… so if the Buyer is just seeing the document for the first time at signing, there will be a 3-day delay in closing.  Also, you will notice that our ML#’s have gotten a bit longer.  As we are starting a new decade, the ML#’s now start with “10”… so they’ll be longer numbers & have lots of zero’s for awhile : )   As an aside, the count on these, and therefore the number of new January listings as of today in Lake Oswego number 24, and range in price from $90,000 to $998,500.

CarrieNationLast, but definitely not least, I want to address the excitement of the ongoing Centennial Celebration in Lake Oswego.  I’m including a link here to a pdf that has all kinds of historic Lake Oswego photos, and news stories from 1910. By that time Lake Oswego had been in existence for 60 years already.  Three previous attempts at incorporation had failed due to fears around “additional regulations and taxation” (sound familiar?). Residents in First Addition were interested in: “promoting small businesses, water quality, fire protection, debate over the sale of alcohol, as well as government autonomy. The vote in favor of the measure was 79 to 22.  Only men cast their ballots because Oregon women did not win the right to vote until 1912.” You really MUST check out this link.  Some of the headlines read: “City Government Controls Width of Tires”“Buy a Lake-Front Lot for $50.” “Oswego’s Bear Population”, “Illiterate Cows” “Pig Penmanship”, and many, many more.

Happy, Happy 2010 to you and yours, and thank you for reading the Property Blotter!

Linda

Holiday Notes from Lake Oswego

OrangesA very merry Christmas and holiday season to each of you from Dianne and me!

Here are a few notes from Lake Oswego:

Millenium Park Plaza in Final Phase! ~ The improvements include a small grove of Fuji cherry trees, a water feature and an ADA standard ramp to improve accessibility.  Views of Lakewood Bay will be enhanced, and there will be even more room for Lake Oswego’s famed Farmers’ Market and the Lake Run. The park will re-open in May of 2010 in time for Farmers’ Market.

Historic Belluschi House Moves to Marylhurst ~  A home built by noted Portland architect, Pietro Belluschi will stay in Lake Oswego after all.  Many thanks to Marylhurst University, where it will receive a permanent home on campus, and be restored as a lasting reminder of Belluschi’s architectural legacy.  It is truuly a work of mid-century modernist art, and was about to be demolished until Marylhurst came to the rescue.  Fund-raising efforts are now underway to move and restore the house.  Here is a link to a photo in ModernHomesPortland.com:  Belluschi House

Coat Drive ~ Lake Oswego will be collecting coat for Clackamas County Women and Children’s Centers through the month of February.  If you wish to donate, please stop by City Hall at 380 A Avenue, or call 503 635 0257.

Tree 09 bAdult Community Center New Year’s Luncheon ~ Doors open on Wednesday, December 30th at 11:30 for this fabulous feast & opportunity to celebrate with your neighbors.  Suggested donation is $4.00 for those 60 & older, and $5.00 for all other attendees.  The Community Center is located at the intersection of 5th & G Avenues.

Safety ~ The Lake Oswego Fire Department reminds us to consider safety and the safety of those around us as we move through this beautiful holiday season fraught with its own unusual circumstances.   We are not usually stringing lights all over our homes for instance, and do not usually place trees in our living rooms adorned with lights of their own.  The snaps of really cold weather (which broke many pipes in town a week or so ago) add another twist as we haul out our space heaters on those super frosty days.  Here is a link to some safety tips for you and your family:   Safety at Holiday Time

Seeing the Christmas Lights

christmas shipLet’s face it, December is dark. The sun comes up about 7:30 and sets about 4:30. That’s just 9 hours of daylight. And that’s why Christmas lights are pretty darn important to me. I know they are put up to celebrate religious traditions. But as far as I am concerned they are put up for ME. I love them and need them to get through the month of the year with the shortest daylight. My own turkey barely has a chance to go cold on the counter before I am putting up my own Christmas lights. And I push the boundary on the other end too by leaving them up past Christmas. (Yes, one year I had them up until Valentine’s, but haven’t been that extreme in quite awhile.)

So when Linda and I first designed the propertyblotter, and had to think about what links we wanted permanently attached, the Christmas Ship Parade came immediately to mind. You will see our link to the Christmas Ships year around on our left tool bar. However, I don’t want to just assume that you have used it to see what it is all about. This year I want to point it out and suggest that you load up your car with family and a thermos of hot cocoa and drive over to Foothills Park on December 19th at about 6pm. This is the evening that the parade of lighted ships are scheduled to come as far South as George Rogers Park on the Willamette River. You can view them from George Rogers Park, and also from Roehr Park, but you would probably need to get out of your car. Personally, I love to sit in the car to watch them. Just find some Christmas music on the radio and stay toasty warm. When my children were little, we commonly did this with both of them bathed and in their pajamas.

There are about 20 or so ships that are organized and captained by volunteers. They do a nightly parade of both the Willamette and the Columbia Rivers with the evening parade location changing daily. I think the only time between now and Christmas that they will be as far South as LO is the 19th. If you are willing to drive North, you will be able to find them in other locations on other evenings. For a complete schedule, click here.

And if you want to find what I consider to be the top decorated house light displays, I want to recommend driving down Edenberry Drive in Westlake. The homeowners on the street go all out. It is gorgeous. Many of the side streets are also decorated. So swing through when you get the chance.

Enjoy the season. I know that I do: especially the Christmas lights.

Ho Ho Ho, Dianne

Oh, To Be Thankful

ThanksgivingThis week we get to take a  step back from our daily routine… usually we take a few days to kick back & enjoy family, friends, and good food… and at the very minimum, we enjoy a few extra moments or hours to reflect on all we have to be grateful for.

This has been quite a year. I don’t think there are many who have not been affected, or had a loved one affected by the roller coaster ride that has been our economy. Now that things are starting to turn, and we hear “the recession is over”, we may or may not be seeing big changes in our own lives yet, but we can look around, and take stock. Do we have shelter? A roof over our heads, warmth and food? Do we have family? And if so, do we remember to tell them each and every day that we love them? Do we have friends… real friends? If so, do we remember to let them know that they make our lives richer just by being themselves? Do we have a job? & If so, do we think about all the ways that job enriches our lives, providing goods and/or services to others and supporting our family? Do we have beauty in our lives? Do we remember to actually look at those hanging baskets in downtown Lake Oswego, or the beautiful lights and holiday dressing the town takes on this time of year? Do we see the beautiful little things that cross our paths everyday… often escaping our notice? Ok, I’ll stop, but hopefully this gets you thinking a bit. Maybe this year would be the year to start a Gratitude Journal. I have a friend who records everything that happened that day for which he is grateful every night before bed. He swears that it has turned his life around! Maybe this year we might start a new tradition with our children, and have them fill out two lists… one being everything for which they are thankful, and the other being, well, you know… the one that goes to the North Pole (make sure to address it to City Hall/North Pole this year though : )

I am grateful for so many things, and I know I speak for Dianne and I both when I say we are so thankful for our Property Blotter readers & clients. You make it all worthwhile.

I’ll leave you with a few quotes to start your holiday season off just right:

“Stand up, on this Thanksgiving Day, stand upon your feet. Believe in man. Soberly and with clear eyes, believe in your own time and place. There is not, and there never has been a better time, or a better place to live in.” –Phillips Brooks

“Gratitude makes sense of our past, brings peace for today, and creates a vision for tomorrow.”
—Melody Beattie

“A thankful heart is not only the greatest virtue, but the parent of all the other virtues.” –Cicero

“Not what we say about our blessings, but how we use them, is the true measure of our thanksgiving.” –W.T. Purkiser

“Serenely full, the epicure would say, Fate cannot harm me, I have dined today.”
–Sydney Smith

Happy Thanksgiving!

Holiday Events in Lake Oswego

turkeyThere is a wonderful assortment of Holiday Events coming up here in Lake Oswego. It is a great time of year and the community comes together to celebrate Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year’s.

Adult Community Center Thanksgiving Luncheon

November 25, 11:30am, at the Adult Community Center.  Enjoy a holiday feast with friends.  Call 503-635-3758, to make a reservation.

Holiday Tree Lighting

November 27, 5pm.  Kick off the holiday season with the lighting of the giant sequoia tree at Fifth Street and A Avenue.  Enjoy free coffee and cocoa and listen to choir members from local high schools.  Then, walk to Millennium Plaza Park to enjoy more caroling, refreshments, live music, and several characters to entertain the kids.  Donations of non-perishable, canned food for the Oregon Food Bank and unwrapped toys are encouraged.

Gingerbread House Building

November 30, 6:30 to 8:30pm.  West End Building, 4101 Kruse Way.  Everything you need to build a beautiful gingerbread house is included.  Ages 18 and older. $47 per family/house.  Register at www.lakeoswegoparks.org (#4327200)

5th Annual Lake Oswego Holiday Market

December 5th & 6th, 9am to 4pm, Millennium Plaza Park.  A traditional European Holiday Market where you can shop for unique treasures:  crafts, greenery, eats and treats.  Local musicians will provide a background of Holiday music.  A family-friendly shopping experience.

Holiday Gift Workshop

December 12, 10am to 12pm, West End Building.  Spend a morning making holiday gifts for family and friends, snack on treats, and enjoy a special guest/entertainer.  For children ages 6 to 12.  Cost is $22.  Register at www.lakeoswegoparks.org (#4267100)

Carriage Rides

December 6, 12, & 19, 11am to 3pm, Millennium Plaza Park.  Get into the holiday spirit and enjoy a memorable carriage ride through the streets of beautiful downtown Lake Oswego.  The horse drawn carriage will pick you up at the entrance to Millennium Plaza Park.  Adults $3 and children under the age of 10, $1.

Christmas Ship Parade Viewing

December 19th, 6pm, Foothills Park.  Experience the sparkle of the ships and their reflections from the shore of the Willamette River at Foothills Park while enjoying hot chocolate and a warm fire.  For more information, go to www.christmasships.org.

Adult Community Center Holiday Luncheon

December 23rd, 11:30am, at the Adult Community Center.  Celebrate the season with food and music.  Call 503-635-3758 to make a lunch reservation.

Adult Community Center New Year’s Luncheon

December 30th, 11:30am, at the Adult Community Center.  Honor the last of 2009 and welcome 2010 with friends.  Call 503-635-3758 to make a reservation.

The above information is brought to us courtesy of Hello L.O., the official newsletter of the City of Lake Oswego.  Happy Holidays!

Notes & Scribbles

Rain Showers
47° F | 40° F
Chance of Rain
45° F | 38° F
Rain Showers
45° F | 36° F
Chance of Rain
45° F | 38° F
Chance of Rain
49° F | 41° F
Rain Showers

50% chance of precipitation
Chance of Rain

60% chance of precipitation
Rain Showers

80% chance of precipitation
Chance of Rain

30% chance of precipitation
Chance of Rain

50% chance of precipitation

(Image from: www.wunderground.com )

Hmmmmmm…. Not to bum you California readers out, but this is a pretty dreary week in Lake Oswego!  I so often hear from family and friends in California though, that they really LOVE rain, and I can relate.  Nothing better than to curl up with a book (or a laptop) by a fire near a window with a nice view & hear the rain on the roof.  Lots of coffee shops prosper here for the same reason.

We have yet to see what the weather is going to look like this winter.  I hear that at the recent “weather conference” held here in Lake Oswego, experts were torn over whether we would be having a relatively dry season, or even MORE snow than we had last year…. quite a gap in understanding among experts…  (any readers who attended this conference or who would like to chime in are welcome!).

Lake Oswego turns 100!

Well, we are only 99 right now, but Lake Oswego is turning 100 in 2010.  Already planning is underway for a “year-long celebration” that will kick off in January with a film at the Lakewood Center giving an overview of the city’s history and unveiling the “Lake Oswego Building Blocks” display; a visual history of 20 of the city’s neighborhoods which will remain on display throughout the year.

There will also be a scavenger hunt that will begin after the kick-off and last thru March (!!!) with clues given each week via he Lake Oswego Review and the city’s official website.

For more info or to get involved, contact Kern-Schilling at 503-675-3983, attend a community meeting at 5:30 p.m. Nov. 5 at the West End Building or visit the Web site www.lakeoswego100.com later this month.

City Revisits “Affordable Housing”

There was an interesting article in the Lake Oswego Review about a week ago that highlighted some citizens’ work toward ensuring that in particular seniors, but also lower income families and individuals, have access to affordable housing.  Paul Lyons, along with Ralph Tahran have been meeting with City Counselor Roger Hennigan and other interested parties.  Mr. Lyons led a discussion at a recent city council meeting. He pointed out that the planning department is undergoing a periodic review of the Comprehensive Plan, and is hopeful that this is a good time to reintroduce this discussion which was sidelined in 2005.   Here is a link to the article for anyone interested: Affordable Housing The article has generated lively debate in Lake Oswego.

Market Action Report

It is almost time for the October Market Action Report to be released by RMLS.  I think it is interesting to note that there has been a new column added to the Residential Market Highlights and the Area Report called “Total Market Time”.  This is an average of the cumulative number of days a property has been truly on the market.  This time does not reset unless a property has been off the market for more than 30 days, and this statistic is evidently calculated for listings that sell in the month and year-to-date time periods that apply to any issue of Market Action. You know that Dianne and I have often mentioned the confusion that sometimes results from how “Days on Market” are shown when a property relists but is really not a new listing, and so I am glad to see this change in the Market Action Report which will more accurately reflect a property’s actual time on the market before sale.

What’s in a name?

marinaI have two things on my mind today:  Thanksgiving and how much Linda and I are loving writing the PropertyBblotter.  I am thinking about Thanksgiving because it is my favorite holiday and because it has been so incredibly gorgeous the last few days.  The air is crisp.  The sunshine is bright.  It just makes me feel grateful to be alive.  And somehow those feelings tie into how I feel about the Property Blotter.  We have been writing this blog for 20 months.  In that time we have had the pleasure of sharing our passion for real estate and for this wonderful town that we live in.  We have also been fortunate to have people contact us to get information, and even to buy and to sell homes.  We are grateful for our loyal readers and hope that you are enjoying and learning from what we are able to share.

In that light, today I want to take us back to the roots of the Blotter and remind our readers that the name is completely local to Lake Oswego and references the Police Blotter that is published each Thursday in The Lake Oswego Review, the local newspaper.  The Review is widely read in LO, both to see photos and hear about our neighbors, and also to get a good chuckle over the varied activities of our local law enforcement.  Let’s face it, while LO is not immune to crime, there is quite a bit of time when the good men and women of our police department deal with some pretty funny stuff.  So the Police Blotter is in some ways a form of entertainment.  I thought I’d take time today to share a bit of the Property Blotter’s namesake.  Here, for your reading enjoyment, are actual police activities that were published in the LO Review from a two week period in late September.  Enjoy.

9/14/09  1:47 pm A man fell down while walking on a broken sidewalk on Boones Ferry Rd.

9/14/09  4:10 pm An elderly man acted confused at a pizza restaurant.

9/15/09  12:54 pm Police saved a man from being stranded on his roof after his ladder fell down while he was working on it.  The ladder was replaced and the man came down.

9/15/09  1:39 pm A caged leopard was observed in a vehicle traveling down Highway 43.

9/15/09  4:47 pm An old lady has been throwing plums at her neighbor.

9/15/09 5 pm An injured pheasant was caught on the side of the road by officers and taken to the Audobon Society.

9/16/09 1:44 pm A woman complained that her neighbor’s garage sale had been going on for far too long.

9/17/09  8:58 pm A short, heavy, suspicious man was advised to leave a super market after he was observed leaning against a wall.

9/18/09 7:48 pm After leaving his scooter on a dock, a man returned to find that it was missing.  It turned out the scooter had been thrown into the water by a mentally challenged boy, whose father agreed to pay for a new scooter.

9/19/09  8:41 am A racoon found injured in the middle of the road was taken to a Lake Grove veterinarian.

9/19/09  6:23 pm A person dropped a glass on Lakeview Boulevard, then got out and tried to pick it up.

9/21/09 9:09 am A man in a van has been parking behind a church and sleeping.  Church officials hope he will wake up and leave.

9/22/09 1:38 pm A large swarm of yellow jackets was seen a Maple Circle.  A beekeeper was notified to respond.

9/24/09 2:16 am A dog cornered a raccoon in a backyard.

9/24/09 7:28 pm A man’s 10-year-old son was screaming about not being able to get on a computer.

9/25/09 11:35 am A dark blue Jeep Liberty was seen driving over yellow lines and onto the sidewalk on Boones Ferry Road.  An alternative driver was located to drive the car.

9/25/09 5:03 pm A 15-year-old boy reported a man in an Alden Utilities vest riding a bicycle through his yard. Turns out Alden Utilities is taking a pole inventory.

9/25/09 8:40 pm A suspicious man was going door to door on Albert Circle claiming to be the Kirby Vacuum guy.

9/26/09  1:54 pm A back pack with drug paraphernalia was reportedly found at Our Lady of the Lake.  Officers determined the contents were just garbage and disposed of them.

9/26/09 2:41 pm A dead squirrel was removed from Lake Grove Avenue.

9/26/09 10:13 pm A complaint was filed on a loud party at Country Woods Court and Quarry Road.  Partiers shut the garage door and turned the music down.

9/26/09 11:59 pm The partying continued on Country Woods Court.  Homeowners were warned of a citiation.

We may be just 15 minutes from downtown Portland, but reading the LO Review’s Police Blotter really puts into perspective that LO has the personality of a small town.  Our police department has a 100% personal response policy.  When you call the police, for whatever issue no matter how small or how large, you will get a police officer who will personally respond.  And then the next week, you will see it in the Lake Oswego Review.  I love it.

Amazing Deal on Luxury Townhomes in First Addition

LOSixthFrontIt isn’t often that we shine the spotlight on any particular property, but when we heard that the new luxury town homes on Sixth St in sought-after First Addition had just lowered their prices by $100,000 each to $599,900., Dianne and I just had to run over there and take a look.

There are six of these little gems with four of them left & available for purchase. The address is 363 Sixth St., and the LOKitchen 102909ML# if you want to get a preview is 9057549. Each has 2258 SF, 3 bedrooms, 3 & 1/2 baths, 2 levels with additional full finished basements, and probably just everything you’ve been looking for.

First of all, they really are gorgeous. The finishes in these are superior. The first feature you notice inside are the beautiful plank maple hardwood floors. A sleek yet spacious slab granite kitchen with long island, pantry & light beech LO DiningRm 102909cabinets also boasts additional built-ins and smart features like a pull-down bar. The dark french doors to the front porch area off the dining room are a rich contrast, and the white wainscoting throughout adds that crisp old-world cottage feel. The 2-car detached garage out back with private courtyard to the house is an added bonus in First Addition, and from there you enter the great room compete with gas fireplace and more built-ins.

LO BltIns 102909Downstairs you find another gas fireplace and generous media room as well as another bedroom & bathroom w/an additional laundry area for guests or your reclusive teenager. Upstairs is the master bedroom & bath showing off glorious travertine w/onyx, a clawfoot tub & separate shower as well as an additional bathroom w/soaker tub & yet another bedroom. Walk-in closets of course, and the main laundry near the upstairs bedrooms check those final “must-haves” off the list.

LOKitchen102909Overall, these are just so unique & have that easy-living feel that goes hand in hand with the First Addition lifestyle… you know, walking to all the services, trendy shops and restaurants, not to mention Millenium Park Plaza for a view of the lake & all the festive local activities like Farmer’s Market, open air Movie Nights, Holiday Tree-Lighting festivities and on & on. First Addition is just a strolling kinda place; a small-town feel with all the amenities. Cottage Living LOGrtRm3magazine named First Addition as one of the ten best cottage communities in the country. American Planning Association name it one of the top 10 neighborhoods in America. The accolades go on & on.

Yes, these are nice indeed. But you know, on the practical side, in addition to the location & amazing price when comparing features & finishes to other offerings, there are also NO HOA fees. Compare that with other HOA’s nearby at anywhere from $136./month to $455./mo.

LOMedia RmCome on down & take a look. Bring a Realtor as there has been a lot of interest. They will be held open both Saturday & Sunday from 1 – 4.